[extropy-chat] Mammary output - was what is the upside / advantage of meat ?

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat Sep 23 02:42:01 UTC 2006

Spike writes:
> Ah OK I understand the question now.  Well having recently spawned a larva
> and observed insufficient mammary output by the mother, I can easily imagine
> a survival advantage of one's genotype in maintaining a cow or a goat as a
> milk supplement.

What!?! Insufficient, spike? :( There are indeed levels they go through, when the
child suddenly increases requirements and there are a couple days before mom's
output can catch up, but it can usually be dealt with by nursing more frequently
(every 2 or 3 hours instead of every 4) and increased fluid intake by mom. Then
things settle down to a more reasonable schedule once more. Until the next growth
spurt.

Maybe my family was coming along at a more supportive time or place - we had
childbirth classes, and there were groups for nursing mothers. There was lots of
comraderie and support for both new mothers and new fathers. It was quite helpful.

I hope y'all have the support and encouragement y'all need. We had a grandmother
telling us the baby couldn't get enough to eat, but the pediatrician said otherwise.
:)  We later discovered there was a story behind the grandmother's comments, a sad
story.

Regards,
MB