[extropy-chat] Islamic morons win yet again

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Sep 28 02:37:01 UTC 2006

At 01:19 AM 9/27/2006 -0400, you wrote:

snip

>There was no major difficulty cutting off the heads of Poseidon, Buddha or
>even Jesus; but Muhammad was another matter.
>
>All religions are stupid, but some religions are more stupid than others.

There is a far more paranoid approach to religions.

The capacity to have religions (that is the parasitic to symbiotic memes
that infest human populations) is a function (like everything else) of some
feature of human brains that either was directly selected or is a side
effect of some feature that was selected in the environment of evolutionary
adaptiveness (EEA).

I have come to see religious memes as _seed xenophobic memes_.  When a
population anticipates bad times a-coming, the gain on xenophobic memes
gets turned up.  This is an evolved trait, i.e., the genes of people who
did it replicated better than the genes of people who did not in the EEA.

In the EEA, bad times a-coming usually affected all the tribes or bands in
a considerable area.

I propose that there is a selective advantage in such circumstances to
attacking first and that it takes time for xenophobic memes to build up to
the point warriors go on the attack.

In such circumstances, seed xenophobic would shorten the time from
detection of ecological conditions to attack.  Thus the psychological trait
of carrying such memes (religions) between times when they were needed
would be favored.

This explains an awful lot of the history of religions.

Islamic society today generally faces a particularly bleak future.  So it
should be expected that xenophobic memes in that society will be on the rise.

Unless something like nanotechnology intervenes to massively improve the
economic outlook of Islamic populations, they will attack.

The western choice will be between killing them as a religious (Christian)
duty or killing them dispassionately.

Not much of a choice from my viewpoint.  :-(

Keith Henson