[extropy-chat] Islamic morons win yet again

John john.heritage at v21.me.uk
Thu Sep 28 10:18:09 UTC 2006

I like that idea.

Although, I've been working on my own, and it's to do with how religion
effects the efficiency of your life.

The entire point of most religions is for your to remain stupid and not
think too much. If you sin or do wrong (including murdering and raping), you
can always say sorry to god about it and you're sorted.

Being agnostic, that got me to comparing that with my own life.

I don't have a god to say sorry to. If I'm nasty to someone, or hurt their
feelings (even online), that's my fault alone and I have to stress about it
personally. I compare myself to my neighbor a lot, an Irish woman who is a
regular church goer. Yet for the entire time I've lived next door to her (22
years now) all I've ever had from her is insulting remarks or her inviting
herself into my personal life - she has, more than once, accused me face to
face of lying to her about things as simple as cutting her plants. Neither
does she remember my name, whilst I remember hers & her past job, her
husband's & his jobs (past and present), her son's, her two dogs (who have
been dead for years), a medical condition her son has and that they like
going on walking holidays with a caravan. It made me wonder if perhaps this
was easier for her to do because she new she had god on her side, or at
least could say sorry to him about not being a very nice person.

Next up came mind time. I spend every single day reading pages of stuff like
this and journals. It's very difficult for me to find spare time to do other
things and get on with less complex hobbies - like sitting around getting
high watching Springer.

Being agnostic is basically stressful. And stress is an important factor in
lifespan. Being truly agnostic (not an atheist wanting to disguise your
biases) uses up a lot of your spare time, in which others are out raising
families. I would also guess that 'nerds' where around a long time ago, the
kind of monkeys who stressed about working out the latest stick collecting
technique for ants. Now, for a short period, that monkey will have an
increased chance of reproducing with it's new trick (like internet heroes of
today). But it won't take very long for another monkey to steal the idea or
bully it's way into taking that advantage - exactly the same thing is still
happening now in corporations (your patent is our patent).

Religious people (including atheists) are, in general, working on the short
term. They need someone to excuse their mistakes and the promise of some
super reward when they're done with the short term.

Agnostics and scientists in general don't have that so much.

So that's my line of thought, that religion makes life easier for you by
massively minimising the need for long term predictions (which require vast
knowledge bases to make - an 'escape velocity', to use Aubrey's term, of
knowledge).

This also gets me on to an important question, I think. Is it fair to take
religion away from some people?

Say you work in a factory packing boxes 12 hours a day. You don't really
have anywhere near enough free time to form a knowledge base large enough to
make long term predictions. In these examples, perhaps it's not so bad that
these people do have something like religion to keep them smiling.

I believe the annoyance comes when we find people who most definitely do
have the spare time to form more knowledgeable opinions, it's just that they
can't be bothered.

Remember that the church, ironically, used to be one of the driving forces
of science and simply took money off it's crowd to fund it's work, all the
time knowing they were proles who didn't understand it, now we have
government issued tax and a kind of role reversal almost.

John