[extropy-chat] Wireheading

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Thu Sep 28 17:01:50 UTC 2006

Anders Sandberg wrote:
> I think one could probably whip up an amateur TMS system and stimulate the
> brain. But none of the pleasure systems are close to the surface, so it
> would be better for just creating weird sensations, some cognitive
> enhancement and accidentally priming epilepsy.

People are working on an opensource TMS:
http://transcenmentalism.org/OpenStim/tiki-index.php
Whether it ever gets anywhere is of course also open. But in principle
making a TMS coil ought to be very easy, and then one would just need to
connect it to a low frequency signal generator. Making something safe and
serious like this project seems to aim at is much harder.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics