[extropy-chat] Why "Commandments" Re: Extropic Commandments

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Sep 29 01:21:03 UTC 2006

I am enjoying this thread, I think it is a great idea. I'd like to
offer some points.

In using the word "Commandments" you are seeking to engage,
consciously or not, a group of people whose defense of this term will
range from casual through deadly serious. I offer that we come up
with a term that is non-competitive. Even this thread being archived
will offer fodder for someone, somewhere.

Of course for the purpose of this intellectual exercise everyone
understands what we are saying, where we are going with this and that
the word chosen is best for the context. Helping people to understand
our point begins with opening their minds, not closing them.

I see that what we are aiming for in this conversation is different
from the Extropian Principles, something new.

In its new-ness, to give the idea a fair shot, it should be allowed
to stand and develop on its own, free of the stigma (no pun intended)
of pre-existing work.

Just a thought. Freeing us from religious context removes us from a
fight we do not need. Let rationality prevail through acceptance, not
competition. Many east/west religious blending happens at the
philosophical level without challenging theistic preferences. We
should come in at that level, not at that of replacement or challenge
per se.

/humble opinion.

Bret K.