[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 30 04:01:43 UTC 2006

That is beautiful and hillarious. Irony is the key
that unlocks reality. We live in ridiculous times, my
dear Patricia. Truly we do.

--- pjmanney <pj at pj-manney.com> wrote:

> >Jay Dugger said:
> >Sinclair Lewis answered this question at length in
> 1935. "It Can't Happen
> >Here."
> >
> >gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0301001h.html
>
> And from the sublime to the riduculous:
>
> "Director–producer Kenneth Johnson wrote an
> adaptation [of It Can't Happen Here] titled Storm
> Warnings, in 1982. The script was presented to NBC,
> for production as a television mini-series, but the
> NBC executives rejected the initial version,
> claiming it was too 'cerebral' for the average
> American viewer. To make the script more marketable,
> the American fascists were re-cast as anthropophagic
> extraterrestrials, taking the story into the realm
> of science fiction. The new, re-cast story was the
> mini-series V, which premiered on May 3, 1983. The
> story remains a Nazi allegory, right down to the
> swastika-like emblem used by the Visitors."
> (Wikipedia)
>
> And you just thought at the time "Bitchin'!  Sci-Fi
> on Prime Time!"
>
> PJ

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

-Galileo Galilei