[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 30 21:26:26 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Tyranny in place
>
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 11:18:48PM +0200, Amara Graps wrote:
>
> > There should be massive demonstrations over this. Why isn't there?!
> Those who don't care about impeaching a criminal don't care
> about their country turned into a dictatorship...

My understanding is that it was congress that did this, not the executive
branch.  I would interpret it as empty electioneering: the congressmonsters
do not want to appear soft on terrorism right before the election.
Legislative branch grandstanding is done all the time, but it is still
meaningless.  What counts is if the supreme court upholds it.  I predict
that the court will knock it down without a second thought.

Regarding massive demonstrations, we have congressional elections in a few
weeks.  We will see what happens there.