[extropy-chat] Nanoassembly Blueprints using Atomic Resolution MRI

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 23:10:09 UTC 2007

 I found this interesting site while surfing around:

 http://www.csulb.edu/~mbarbic/atomres.htm

[Beware: Twice when I clicked the internal hyperlink
to this professor's home page (not the above page), IE
had to shut down due to an error. Just an innocent
glitch I'm sure, but all the same.]

    If AR-MRI does become possible (and I guess it
looks both possible and practical), it could
potentially improve our chances of achieving true
"outside-Earth" sustainability; like in a space colony
for example. With the appropriate software (and a
practical level of hardware), it appears to me that
scanning with AR-MRI could provide on-the-fly
blueprints for a nanofactory or nanoassembler. For
example the blueprints of a variety of foods could be
obtained and used to reconstitute those objects. The
applications for this would be huge. But, like most
things technology, it could also be used to harm.
Hopefully, the good uses will overcome the potentially
bad ones.

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey Herrlich