[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:14:58 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

At 04:03 PM 4/4/2007 +1000, Stathis wrote:

> >the impossibility of something being neither determined nor random,
> >which is (I believe) the common notion of free will.
>
> I haven't followed this thread but I find this common objection to
> free will facile...

Maybe, but I think this is what the ordinary person's concept of free will
is. Compatibilists redefine it so that it is consistent with determinism.
That's OK, as long we are clear about it, and the implications of this
definition: namely, that if you *have* to make a particular decision in a
particular situation, but you don't know what this decision is until you
make it, then that's free will.

Stathis Papaioannou