[extropy-chat] Transhumanism is taking common sense seriously

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:51:15 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's common sense to build perfect immune systems from nanomedical robots,
> and it's common sense to develop the technologies of regenerative medicine
> to their logical end.

It is worth noting that by any reasonable definition we already *have* an
"immune system" built "from nanomedical robots", e.g. largely the
macrophages and killer T-cells.  It is *highly* questionable whether you can
*ever* have a "perfect" immune system just as its fiendishly difficult to
know with absolute certainty that your computer (even if its running Linux)
is *not* infected with some virus waiting to leap out and erase all your
data (or steal your credit card information the second you type it in).

If anyone thinks that Robert Freitas' "microbivores" are the absolute
answer, they know little about the adaptability of nature (HIV now being the
classic example) and fail to realize that if the "good" guys have the
capability to detect and construct nanorobots such as microbivores, then it
is likely that the "bad" guys will soon be able to have the technologies to
build devices or poisons that are able to evade them.

Robert