[extropy-chat] Nanoassembly Blueprints using Atomic Resolution MRI

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 22:15:13 UTC 2007

Hi Robert,

Robert wrote:

"What makes you think this?  The primary requirement
> for off-Earth
> sustainability is the ability to convert X watts of
> solar or nuclear energy
> into resources (primarily water and reduced
> carbohydrates)  required to
> sustain human bodies as currently designed (humans
> are generally 100W
> machines, but if you look at plant food source
> efficiencies it probably
> requires 5-10,000 W of solar energy to produce the
> required food).  You have
> to make a case that the direct synthesis of the
> required molecules
> (nanoassembly) would be more efficient than existing
> nanoscale based systems
> (plants, bacteria, chemical synthesis, etc.)"

The main "advantages" I was thinking of were a
possibly considerable size(space) and weight savings
for the space colony, plus a potentially much simpler
(probably cheaper) internal environment. For example,
if you could just rebuild a strawberry to eat, you
wouldn't require any specialized light sources, soil,
bacteria, nutrients, additional physical space, etc.

Whatever the case turns out to be, the near future
will, without a doubt, be very exciting. :-)

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey Herrlich