[extropy-chat] Role of Observer is not Relevant

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 5 10:13:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:54:10PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>    I was referring to certain philosophical arguments, such as John
>    Searle's Chinese room, which is wrong for philosophical reasons, not

He's wrong because you can't simulate a person with paper by
another person, not by lookup. A billion Indians with a lot
paper and a rather complex algorithm might do, but I'm not
sure. It would be certainly too slow.

>    becauseof the undoubted practical difficulties it would pose.

Not difficulties. It Can't Be Done, in this universe. End of story.
That's all the argumentation it takes.

>    Engineering and philosophy are not the same discipline.

I think most people realize what the utility of a philosopher is.
Unlike a mathematician, these don't even produce theorems if
given coffee...