[extropy-chat] The great global warming swindle

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Apr 5 23:21:57 UTC 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### Well, I see Mr Gore as another evangelist, thumping his green book
> against the pulpit, invoking fire and brimstone (or rather, high AC
> bills) to bring us sinners to the path of righteous self-denial.

Really?  I have always considered you far more rational that that.
Why would you stoop to tar and feathering the messenger?  AFAIK, Gore
is not an advocated of self-denial anywhay.

> That he is using some known scientific facts (like global warming) as
> the excuse for proselytizing doesn't exonerate him - what matters is
> that he willfully neglects all the other facts (like the benefits of
> CO2 for agriculture, and economic analyses) that are inconvenient for
> his position. This excludes him from among serious thinkers, and makes
> him a preacher - and a hypocritical one, too.

That is an overstatement.

> I find it is quite relevant to bring such personal, moral arguments to
> bear here, since it is a moral, not a scientific discussion.

The important part is scientific and serious so I find these personal
argument tedious and utterly irrelevant.

- samantha