[extropy-chat] The great global warming swindle.

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat Apr 7 02:17:45 UTC 2007

A commentary I wrote yesterday on an article in Chief Executive.

Global Greenspin
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreCO.aspx?coid=CO45071041574

Feeling chilly? Then gather round the fire and
let me tell you a tale of global warming. And
such a tale it is! It’s a tale of huge, evil
corporations intent on fattening their purses as
they destroy the world. It’s a tale of the
messiah, the One called Gore, who comes to us
with his message (Inconvenient but True) of
redemption through carbon reduction. It’s a tale
of the believers­the Kyotoists, the Ehrlichists,
the catastrophists, the righteous hordes of
apocalyptics, and their wicked enemies the
“environmental skeptics.” Or, is it actually tale
of the latest pretext to expand the power of the
government over the economy and the power of
established commercial powers over potential
upstarts? Or even a little of each?

This commentator confesses considerable sympathy
for J.P. Donlon’s concerns about the demands that
we all kneel before a supposed “undisputed
scientific consensus” concerning global warming.
In fact, at least two consensus views are being
pushed on us­and pushed hard. One is that global
warming is not only happening but is primarily
anthropogenic. The second is that we must
immediately institute a set of strong global
controls on carbon dioxide production. As Donlon
notes, the controversy is troubling in part
because of the “smug, moral transcendence of the
climatologically correct.” The true believers
have not only abandoned but actively oppose the
Enlightenment championing of scientific vitality
through skepticism and questioning. For those
with short memories, Donlon reminds us similar
pronouncement back in 1970s, except that then the
great threat was global cooling.

Even if we buy into the idea that global warming
is real, significant, sustained, and largely
human-caused, too many of us are being bludgeoned
into accepting a set of solutions as following
automatically. Donlon cites research by Bjorn
Lomborg (whose work, including The Skeptical
Environmentalist, is highly worth looking into)
who asked UN ambassadors from 24 countries
representing 54 percent of the world’s population
this question: If you had an extra $50 billion to
spend to improve the world what would your
priorities be? “Mitigating climate change came
dead last on their list.” Similarly to Lomborg’s
experts (as reported in depth in Global Crises,
Global Solutions) the diplomats would prefer to
spend limited funds on problems such as
communicable diseases, sanitation, malnutrition, and education.

Donlon goes on to raise questions about the most
sensible response to global warming, even if we
accept human use of fossil fuels is the main
cause. Apparently it’s easy to buy into an
existing proposal like the Kyoto agreement, but
does it really make any sense? Not to most of the
world. It may well make sense to advocates of
greater government control, as well as to more
private concerns: some see this issue as an
excuse to shovel more subsidies and protectionist
favors to industry such as ethanol and to
companies such as GE, DuPont, Alcoa and BP which
cleverly support cap and trade limits on carbon dioxide.

If you follow the link above, you'll find links
to other relevant items, including some highly practical suggested solutions.

Max