[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Sat Apr 7 21:12:09 UTC 2007

Lee Corbin wrote:
> Regarding future enhancements, I consider the dangers of identity
> loss to be a
>
>                R E A L       P R O B L E M

<snip>

> The reason that I would decline is that I don't believe in
> souls, and so cannot see---on scientific grounds---why the new little
> device that I was supposedly downloaded into would resemble me
> (or be me) at all

Surely this will not be a problem at all.  There are two critical parts
of identity, both of which you mention, that would surely be preserved
by any aliens making us quickly into Gods.

First off is the history of what you were.  Surely part of making us
Gods, would be the restoration of everything we have ever bin, including
restoration of everything we have ever forgotten.  So all of us, at any
point in our history, would be perfectly remembered or even reloaded,
spawned off, and played with by all at will.  (i.e. I wonder what life
had been like for me had I married Carolyn instead of Malia...)  And
even if the Gods didn't restore this for us, that would be the first
task I would want to get started on with all that infinite knowledge and
power right?

The second has to do with what you called a "soul".  Loaded words like
this make discussing this kind of stuff difficult.  I prefer to call
this a "spirit".  But what I mean by spirit is very different than what
most people consider a "spirit" to be.  First off, what I believe to be
our spirit is dependent on our brain.  When the brain stops, or goes to
sleep, this spirit no longer exists (until the right stuff is put back
together and it is spiritually or consciously activated again.)  This
spirit is constructed of "phenomenal properties" or "qualia", like all
of our conscious knowledge.  For example the phenomenal property of red
represents 700 nm light.  The funny thing about our spirit, which is our
knowledge of ourselves or the I that we think is looking out of our
phenomenal knowledge of our eyes, unlike red, and our knowledge of our
eyes, has no real "referent" that it represents.  Our knowledge of our
eyes and skull, in our brain, do have referents that our senses detect.
Our knowledge of our real skull and our real eyes is very different, and
located in a very different place than the thing they represent.  One is
the initial cause of the perception process, and the other is the final
result or our phenomenal conscious knowledge of it.  We sometimes think
our knowledge of this, in our brain, as not real, but it most definitely
is, and even more important is its phenomenal or spiritual nature.  And
just because this knowledge of ourselves, or our "I" or our spirit, is
just knowledge itself, looking out of our knowledge of our eyes, and not
knowledge that represents something else, doesn't mean it doesn't
exist.  All of our conscious knowledge is composed of this very real
"spiritual" if you will phenomenal stuff.  Without all this spiritual
stuff there can be no "virtual reality" right?

I'm betting science will soon discover these phenomenal or spiritual if
you will properties of nature that our neurons use to represent
knowledge in a conscious way;  That this will be the greatest scientific
achievement by far to date.  And that this achievement will finally free
our "spirits" from the spirit prison walls that are our skulls that
makes our spiritual knowledge of the spiritual qualities of nature and
other "minds" ineffable.  I've described in some detail what uploading
could be like, if this theory is true, in my story "1229 Years After
Titanic" available here: http://home.comcast.net/~brent.allsop.

In this story I describe how your spirit, or your phenomenal knowledge
of yourself will be able to tentatively step out of your knowledge of
your body (as in an out of body experience) and "try out" other
phenomenally conscious substrates joined (temporarily if you like) with
the "spirit world" of your conscious knowledge in your brain.  Because
of this no one will have any of the fears everyone talks about when we
get uploaded and we destroy our old self - because our phenomenal spirit
will very literally and consciously no longer be in that old self, and
will have finally escaped from that skull that was our spiritual
ineffable prison.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet anyone that this theory will be commonly
accepted as fact in 10 or so years when we scientifically discover these
phenomenal properties of nature and start effing and playing with it
all, and finally break free of these spiritual prison walls that are our
skull.

If you're out there, Gods, I tell you know.  Stop hiding from us and I
want all this now or as fast as is possible!  I'm sick and tired of
being trapped in this lonely ineffable spirit prison.

Brent Allsop