[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 11:16:31 UTC 2007

--- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> The main difference between [Lee Corbin's] scenario
and
> growing up from infancy to
> adulthood seems to be that the latter occurs more
> slowly. If an infant grew
> up in a second, amassing knowledge in the process
> just as if he had grown up
> in the usual manner, the new adult might have
> regrets about missing out on
> childhood but if he considered that the infant had
> died that would be no
> different to all of us considering that our infant
> selves had died.

Yes. But why would anyone want to go from infancy to
adulthood in a blink of an eye? Or from from adulthood
to omniscience for that matter? For me, the journey is
the point and the destination is just the end of the
journey.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Nature which governs the whole will soon change all things which thou seest, and out of their substance will make other things, and again other things from the substance of them, in order that the world may be ever new." -Marcus Aurelius, Philosopher and Emperor of Rome.