[extropy-chat] A Grim Vision ...?

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Apr 9 21:40:18 UTC 2007

At 10:48 AM 4/9/2007 -0700, Thomas wrote:
>Olga Bourlin wrote:
>
> >Revolution, flashmobs, and brain chips. A grim vision of the future:
> >
> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,2053020,00.html
> >
>That certainly begs for a positive alternative -- especially the part
>about British arms sales to Saudi Arabia.
>I've begun to believe that the way we state things can positively
>correlate with they way they manifest, possibly in a causal manner.  So
>to express my intention: None of this grim vision has to be. -- Thomas

"It singles out Saudi Arabia, the most lucrative market for British arms,
with unemployment levels of 20% and a "youth bulge" in a state whose
population has risen from 7 million to 27 million since 1980."

That's just shy of a 4 fold population increase in 26 years.

Virtually all of Saudi Arabia's food is imported, swapped for oil.  Anyone
have an idea of how many that part of the world could support without food
imports?

Keith