[extropy-chat] Personal Identity Bis

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Apr 11 04:17:47 UTC 2007

Stathis writes

> > Bring one on! (I am indeed puzzled by one that since 1986
> > I have called "the anticipation paradox", but it's pretty elaborate and I
> > don't think I've ever reached the point on this list where anyone so totally
> > agreed with me that I have brought it up.  Besides, the upshot is just---
> > so far as I've been able to work it out---our inborn instinct to *anticipate*
> > what is about to happen to us from moment to moment cannot be made
> > into any consistent urge or activity.)
>
> Please explain this, I'm interested.

Okay, I'll write it up.  Two earlier efforts many years ago were not satisfactory;
one, in the Venturist, was so terse and abbriviated that it was very hard to
follow.  The second I tried to embed in an SF story, but never finished it.

So I'll put it in a new thread.  Thanks for your interest, and it's true that you
and I agree enough that you won't choke at the first few assumptions I make
in it.

Lee