[extropy-chat] Personal Identity Bis

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:51:30 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:59:23PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> >
> >>    A flat EEG that *stays* flat permanently means death. Patients can
> >>    have a flat EEG due to eg. hypothermia and still recover fully.
>
> Only copies recover. Obviously a copy will always suffer from illusion
> that it's
> the original but the evidence collected by an objective observer would
> show
> otherwise. This case is logically equivalent to a situation where you
> download
> patient's brain structure to a file, destroy the patient and then run many
> instances of this file. The 1000th instance would suffer from the same
> illusion.
> Does the fact that a 2nd instance runs on the original body and 1000th on
> some
> artificial hardware make any difference? I really don't think so.

So if you were dragged out of a freezing lake and were successfully
resuscitated (or apparently so), would you consider that you were no longer
the original you, and if so how would you introduce yourself and expect
family and friends to treat you when they came to see you in hospital?

Stathis Papaioannou