[extropy-chat] Meta re recurring threads was Personal Identity Bis

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Apr 13 20:56:58 UTC 2007

At 06:52 PM 4/13/2007 +0200, Eugen wrote:

snip

>I wonder why I keep posting that example, with literature,
>but nobody seems to actually care to read it. It's been more
>than a decade that we keep having these threads, and they
>always go through the same motions. I'm getting tired of this.
>I think I'm going to ban these for good.

I wondered why these identity threads seemed so old to me.  Various moves
and escapes have winnowed my SF collection to a remnant, but I kept several
by A.E. Van Vogt including _The World of Null A_.  I don't know how many
here have read it, but the copyright is 1945.  That *62* years ago.

I just reread it.

None of the identity arguments on this or any other forum I have seen has
added a new idea to those expressed in that story written in 1945.

I.e., it's much older than a decade, and who knows, Van Vogt probably stole
it from some even older source.

The meta question is why people continue to rehash this topic and several
others?  It can't be just a part of growing up because some I know are not
that much younger than I am.

Keith