[extropy-chat] Books - Personal favorites, most influential/inspiring, etc.

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Apr 14 15:03:58 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/14/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
>
> > How about some personal lists of our most influential/inspiring books?
>
> Language, Truth and Logic - A. J. Ayer
> The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
> Reasons and Persons - Derek Parfit
> Permutation City - Greg Egan
> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks Stathis.  I've ordered Ayer's book and may get to it after
"World of Null-A" which just came to my attention courtesy of Keith.

It would be wonderful if any and all who engage in discussions of
personal identity were familiar with Reasons and Persons, but I was
disappointed at what I perceive as Parfit's reluctance to fully
embrace the implications of his own work.  Such tentativeness seems to
distinguish your thinking from mine as well.  I suspect it is more a
matter of temperament than philosophy, assuming you must be (I)NTP on
the MTBI, while I'm INTJ.

Looking forward to any additional recommendations from members of this list.

- Jef