[extropy-chat] Manifest Destiny for >H

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 07:18:41 UTC 2007

On 4/16/07, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's possible, but don't forget all the *good* AI's. The film and record
> companies develop new and better digital protection systems, hackers on
> their home computers find ways around it. It wouldn't be like going a few
> centuries into the past with modern technology to take over the world, it
> would be more like trying to take over the world today witheveryone else
> having access to the same technology.

Exactly. Because it's easier to tweak one variable while holding the rest
constant, we tend to come up with scenarios where Skynet has mighty
technobabble and the rest of the world only has what we have today; but
that's not how things work. By the time Skynet starts going "must - destroy
- all - puny - humans!", everyone else will have the technobabble too.