[extropy-chat] Cryonics is the only option?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 01:36:47 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>  Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > >*
> *>* > At this stage, we, science, don't know how for instance the first
> cell
> *>* > that **was the progenitor of all life on earth formed. Not exactly.
> *
> *> > We don't even **know that much in principle yet.
> *>*
> *>
> > Maybe, but unless it was a miracle, science should be able to
> > reproduce it.
>
> I was going to say there'd be a Nobel prize in the acheivement but
> its actually a much bigger deal than that.
>
> In Pasteur's time there was a doctrine, started by his work, that
> life only comes from life.
>
> The ghosts of Pasteur and Darwin would probably stand up and
> salute the scientist that could demonstrate the creation of a living
> cell without using another living cell.
>
> Its important in science and technology to be honest about what
> one doesn't know. Without that honesty current ignorance is not
> remediable.
>
> On the other hand if all one is looking for is to shore up belief
> then lots of handwaving and pseudo-explanation will attract
> other believers to one and one can huddle together with them
> and feel just fine until reality runs over you.
>
> I don't believe in gods or miracles.  I'm a Bright.
>
> I have a question for you Stathis.
>
> Why are you confident that science (ie. scientists) should
> be able to do what nature did?  Based on your "maybe"
> above, it seems you don't even know if I am telling you
> the truth or not - and if I was lying you probably could have
> found that out with a google search wouldn't you think?

I don't doubt that it would be very difficult to create a cell, but as cells
exist, it should be possible. We can come to this conclusion even in the
absence of any scientific knowledge about cells, just as people 200 years
ago should have been able to conclude that heavier than air flight must be
possible from the fact that birds can fly. Only physically impossible things
are physically impossible.

Stathis Papaioannou