[extropy-chat] META: List attachments

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 19 14:00:53 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 02:43:51PM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

>    I strongly disagree. If a particular attachment doesn't interest you,
>    you can simply ignore it just as you can with a link that doesn't

Well, in theory you can ignore spam, too. In practice, it depends
on how much of it you get, and how much bandwidth you have
and how much it costs (wireless and dialup, ahem). This is a
mailing list with 567 members, run on volunteer resources, so I *will*
start blocking large attachements if people will start sending
them without dire purpose.

>    interest you. But the idea is to cut down on the number of steps
>    required to perform simple operations, not start increasing it again,

Publishing a web file is a single drag and drop, and cut & paste
of an URL.

>    and email attachments are the simplest way, requiring the fewest
>    steps, to send a file. As Whitehead put it, "Civilization advances by
>    extending the number of important operations we can perform without
>    thinking about them".

Nice quote. But our connectivity is so far rather pathetic/our demands
expand to fill all available volume.