[extropy-chat] Kevin Kelly: How does technology evolve? Like we did

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Apr 19 16:06:18 UTC 2007

Here's a TED video which, despite a few quibbles, I think will be of
interest to many on this list.

<http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/19>

"Kevin Kelly uses evolutionary theory to discuss the purpose and value of
technology. By asking, "What does technology want?" he shows that its
movement toward ubiquity and complexity is much like the evolution of life.
Using a discipline-hopping range of examples -- from exotic flora to the Big
Bang, from the Amish to Mozart -- Kelly not only draws an encompassing
picture of humans and machines evolving, but discovers, while he's at it, a
moral assignment for everyone in his audience."

- Jef