[extropy-chat] Anarchy!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 20 16:24:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 11:25:49AM -0400, gts wrote:

> Since you ask, I don't personally have much use for anarchism. Too
> idealistic for my taste.

Of course it's idealistic, all desiderata are that at some point.

> Talk to me again about anarchism when we're all as enlightened as Buddha
> or Jesus, assuming those characters were enlightened enough for anarchism
> in the first place. In the meantime I'm interested mainly in keeping my
> feet on the ground, and in devoting my thought processes to the real word
> in which we live today.

As a realist, I agree, and hence this is why I'm interested in human
augmentation (numerical people models are arguably pretty good augmentation).

Of course, some of the relevant augmentation (distributed reputation
databases, crypto, AR, etc.) can be done with quite cheap wearables,
even though currently only less than 1% in developed countries who
would bother could actually improvise that a platform. That's rather
piss-poor, in terms if interoperability, since most of your interactions
will be with mundanes.

Otoh, there's a lot of augmentation market in virtual environments, and
since Linden Lab announced they'll open source the server (and OpenCroquet
has gone 1.0 quite quite a while ago) things will remain interesting.

> Oops, sorry for the blasphemy!

And from the thunder, a mighty Voice spoke....
"Repaint! Repaint and thin no more!"