[extropy-chat] Anarchy!

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Apr 21 16:20:28 UTC 2007

On 4/21/07, Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe. These days I've adopted the philosophy in a number of areas,
> political philosophy included, that I don't know whether the ultimate ideal
> can be fully realized, nor do I really need to know. What I focus instead on
> is movement - what can we do to move towards the ideal? So in the political
> arena, anything we can do to move towards greater freedom - or to retard
> movement in the direction of lesser freedom - is good. And these things are
> possible.

This is a very good statement recognizing that that while we can never
know what is "best" we most certainly can have an opinion of what is
"better".  And as we move toward our ideal, we evolve as well.

The move towards greater freedom is key, but how few recognize, as
with the "free-will paradox" that increasing freedom entails
increasing ability to predict consequences -- not increasing
irrelevance of consequences, but just the opposite.

Thanks Russell.

- Jef