[extropy-chat] Putting God to Rest

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 23 06:12:18 UTC 2007

--- Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> God, can we scrap this vector?  There is no "god"
> and there is no "salvation" vector".  Can we put it
> to rest in this forum, as a thread, forever?

I apologize Robert, I have read a few opinions on God
and Religion on this list in the last year and a half
and thought it would be a good time to bring up my
complete and utter boiled up frustration before the
list decides to put it to rest.

I do feel that the Extropy List has some of the most
highly exercised minds that I have ever had the
opportunity to exchange with.  On that note, I don't
understand how on highly evolved lists, such comments
are made. I am not a religious person but yet I find
it utterly useless to denounce Religion in any way as
then I feel that I am stomping on the beliefs of
millions of people. At the same time, I find it
useless to ignore Religion as I believe that any
movement(such as Transhumanism) that will result in
change (such as the Singularity) will have to deal
with such minds.

This list is supposed to be about prolonging life, the
use of technology, transhumanism etc.  If you believe
God doesn't exist and have the right to say it then I
would assume that a religious person may have those
same rights and discuss the existence of God. (Which I
believe will end up in a tug of war).  If the list
does not wish to dwell on Religion then any and all
comments that are in regard to God or Religion should
not be made. If I have misunderstood and all
Extropians are Atheists, then I think that should be
made clear and concrete.

I personally would fully appreciate discussing
Religion, Science and Politics from a rational and
Universal point of view but I guess that's wishful
thinking.  People get funny in the head when they are
convinced they have the one and only answer.

Anyhow thanks for listening and letting me let off
some steam.
Anna:)

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca