[extropy-chat] META My position on the secular sin of censorship -- Was Take a stand

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Mon Apr 23 21:33:21 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>
> >> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 01:53:25PM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> > >John Grigg wrote:
> > >
> > > Attempting to impeach the current president is not a realistic plan
> > >
> > > Why would you think that?
> >
> > Folks, killthread. This is completely off-topic for the list.
>
> Eugen, just so you and I are absolutely clear. If you kill this thread, or
> call
> for it to be killed again. If your are that censorious, I will remember it
> and
> hold it against you whilst you and I live. I would oppose your reanimation.
> I will regard you as in the aggregate an entropic vector.

Brent, I too think this email thread was distinctly off-topic for the
Extropy-chat list.  Further, I would point out that you've
demonstrated very poor etiquette in the aggressive and hostile manner
in which you've confronted members of this list.  That sort of
offensive behavior would indicate not just a kill thread, but having
all your posts put on moderation for a time due to the disturbing and
intimidating effect it may have on other posters.  You might want to
thank Eugen for his leniency so far.

I hope that I have communicated clearly here, at least as strongly as
did Eugen with his Killthread directive, and with regard to your
threat against Eugen, I'll stand with him and suggest you consider any
such threats to be against both of us and anyone else who might care
to similarly express their indignation at your recent behavior.

<snip>

> opposition to them. I regard censorship as a form of killing - as do
> you by the use of your word killthread.

A "form of killing"?  Brent, try to get real.  A discussion-thread was
judged off-topic for this list.

- Jef