[extropy-chat] Reality physics

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Apr 24 21:52:01 UTC 2007

If all of you get KurzweilAI.net Daily Newsletter I should not bother with
posting these gems.  Keith

Quantum physics says goodbye to reality

Some physicists are uncomfortable with the idea that all individual quantum
events are innately random. This is why many have proposed more complete
theories, which suggest that events are at least partially governed by
extra "hidden variables". Now physicists from Austria claim to have
performed an experiment that rules out a broad class of hidden-variables
theories that focus on realism -- giving the uneasy consequence that
reality does not exist when we are not observing it (Nature 446 871).

Some 40 years ago the physicist John Bell predicted that many

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/11/4/14