[extropy-chat] Somedays the universe delivers

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Apr 25 03:23:43 UTC 2007

> > *Quantum Physics Parts Ways with Reality*
>
>http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.2529

Commenting on this, a guy pointed me to his paper at:

<http://www.boundary.org/articles/Physics_without_Causality.pdf>Physics
without Causality-Theory and Evidence, Richard Shoup, 2006
[<http://www.boundary.org/articles/Physics_without_Causality_slides_web.pdf>slides-PDF,
<http://www.boundary.org/articles/Physics_without_Causality.pdf>paper-PDF]
Abstract: The principle of cause and effect is deeply rooted in human
experience, so much so that it is routinely and tacitly assumed
throughout science, even by scientists working in areas where time
symmetry is theoretically ingrained, as it is in both classical and
quantum physics. Experiments are said to cause their results, not the
other way around. In this informal paper, we argue that this
assumption should be replaced with a more general notion of mutual
influence -- bi-directional relations or constraints on joint values
of two or more variables. From an analysis based on quantum entropy,
it is proposed that quantum measurement is a unitary
three-interaction, with no collapse, no fundamental randomness, and
no barrier to backward influence.

Experimental results suggesting retrocausality are seen frequently in
well-controlled laboratory experiments in parapsychology and
elsewhere, especially where a random element is included. Certain
common characteristics of these experiments give the appearance of
contradicting well-established physical laws, thus providing an
opportunity for deeper understanding and important clues that must be
addressed by any explanatory theory. We discuss how retrocausal
effects and other anomalous phenomena can be explained without major
injury to existing physical theory. A modified quantum formalism can
give new insights into the nature of quantum measurement, randomness,
entanglement, causality, and time.
Presented at and forthcoming in Frontiers of Time: Retrocausation --
Experiment and Theory, D. P. Sheehan editor, AIP Conference
Proceedings for 87th Meeting of AAAS Pacific Division, University of
San Diego, 2006