[extropy-chat] Courtesy for other viewpoints (was Putting God to Rest)

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Wed Apr 25 08:36:24 UTC 2007

Jef Allbright wrote:

>John C. Wright was active on our list from March through June of 2005.
> I enjoyed a long but ultimately circular dialog with him about
>morality.  Ironically, his final post here was an exceedingly patient
>and polite response to a bit of rudeness from Brett Patsch.
>
><http://postbiota.org/pipermail/extropy/extropy-chat/2005-June/017079.html>
>
>- Jef

Interesting.  I find I agree with Mr. Wright on the subject of rudeness.
 If contempt breeds familiarity then I'd rather leave it to the
contemptible.  Courtesy has enormous practical value in the exchange of
ideas, as does honesty and respect.  I believe greater intelligence
evolves by means of integrating many viewpoints.  If I were a scientist
I would devise an experiment to demonstrate that hypothesis, but who
disputes the empirical evidence?

I also have a theory that what we say reflects our intentions and can
have a degree of influence on reality.  So why not have enough self
respect to be careful what we say?  Why make statements that express the
opposite of extropian intentions?  It seems to me that consistent
alignment of intention and expression produces a better result than
becoming hypnotized into aping negative pronouncements.  Freedom of
expression means we have a choice.  It doesn't mandate Tourette's
Syndrome.  Cancel thought entropy!  -- Thomas