[extropy-chat] Reality physics

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 26 04:01:22 UTC 2007

Stathis quotes an excerpt:

___________________________________
Quantum physics says goodbye to reality

Some physicists are uncomfortable with the idea that all individual quantum
events are innately random. This is why many have proposed more complete
theories, which suggest that events are at least partially governed by
extra "hidden variables". Now physicists from Austria claim to have
performed an experiment that rules out a broad class of hidden-variables
theories that focus on realism -- giving the uneasy consequence that
reality does not exist when we are not observing it (Nature 446 871).

Some 40 years ago the physicist John Bell predicted that many

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/11/4/14

and then Stathis goes on to write

> The many worlds interpretation does away with randomness,
> non-locality and non-realism without hidden variables.

Quite so.  To any of the physicists or others who actually give
any credit to "reality does not exist when we are not observing
it", I have a question:

Could this account for the excess exhibitionism we see in many
people?  And do you yourself often entertain company just to
avoid fading out of existence now and then when you are
unobserved?

Lee