[extropy-chat] Anarchy + Transparent Society + Bushido =Survival

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Apr 26 03:01:55 UTC 2007

The Avantguardian wrote:

>Any ethical or moral system will have its hypocrites.
>The point is that Bushido has been historically
>demonstrated to be robust enough to ensure the
>continuation of civilization despite having its share
>of hypocrites. Besides, in the context of a
>transparent society hypocrites will be caught on
>camera and can be publically shamed.

I don't get as upset about hypocrisy as I used to since I learned that
it serves an important function in preventing deadly conflict between
(multi national) tribes.  Per EP the human brain became more or less
hard wired for interaction with only 80 to 100 others with whom we
shared food, shelter, protection, etc.  Those outside the tribe could be
killed, robbed or enslaved.  As the benefits of intertribal commerce
grew, so did the need for a certain "officials" to give false signals of
tribal inclusion.  This has apparently been honed to a fine art among
today's international politicians.  -- Thomas