[extropy-chat] Will we all choose to become one mind only?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 26 14:16:05 UTC 2007

Russell writes

> On 4/26/07, TheMan <mabranu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Are we all going to become one, when singularity
> > comes, so that there will be no political and moral
> > issues anymore, just one mind, a mind that always
> > knows what it wants, goes for what it wants and
> > nothing else, and never fights with itself?
> >
> > I'm thinking we might all choose to become something
> > like one of those clusters of human minds called "the
> > joined", described in Clarke/Baxter: "The light of
> > other days", joined also with AI of course (and why
> > not with the minds of all the animals as well!).

> I can answer that one very easily: I don't choose to become
> any such thing, so that's a counterexample to the "all" conjecture :)

Well, now I do see the smiley, :-)     But it deserves a serious
answer. What TheMan clearly means is that either a huge number
or even most people may join a group mind.

My eternally made point is that you can do both:  if you truly
believe that physics is a better description that your own intuitions,
and your own evolutionarily evolved feelings of anticipation, then
you believe that you can be in two places at once, and you further
see that you obviously can choose both to go and to stay.

Some instances of me would volunteer for group mind duty, and
a lot would voluteer for straight uploading, and if resources permit,
some would remain in the old bio-machine.

Lee