[extropy-chat] i am a strange loop

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 15:38:39 UTC 2007

(Alas, I must use the word "specimens" out of  respect for Peter
Seller's wonderful parody of Von Neumann in "Dr. Strangelove".)

I always thought it was Edward Teller he was parodying.

Stathis Papaioannou

Teller has a book published about 15 years ago called Conversations on the
Dark Secrets of Physics.  Check it out.  I think Sellers' Dr. Strangelove
was intended as a composite character that has elements of Teller and Verner
von Braun.  Teller's book describes the origin of terms megadeaths,
overkill, etc, the ethereal world that the early nuke weapons people found
themselves.  Herman Kahn has a book called Thinking About the Unthinkable
which covers some of the same ground.

I noticed Hofstadter has a new book called I Am a Strange Loop.  Anyone read
it?