[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 29 19:01:35 UTC 2007

At 03:41 AM 4/29/2007 -0700, Lee wrote:

>       microsecond 0-1               Randall is frozen
>       microsecond 1-2               Randall is copied atom for atom
> into Randall 2
>       microsecond 2-3               Randall 1 is vaporized
>       microsecond 3-4               Randall 2 is moved to exactly
> the same place
>
>that Randall 1 was
>       microseconds 4-10000     Randall2 thinks his Randall-squared
> type thoughts
>
>and experience his Randall^2 life

Stop there. *Obviously* Randall2 thinks (or at least feels) he's
continuous with the original. Surely nobody disputes this. It's part
of the definition of "perfect copy." The only matter at stake is
whether R1 should object to being obliterated and replaced by R2...n.
I would, even in such a preposterously rigged and probably physically
impossible procedure. I'm pretty sure Randall would.

And having reached this conclusion and its contrary (for the
2nd...nth time), I suggest we all stop blathering about it.

Damien Broderick