[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Mon Apr 30 00:54:12 UTC 2007

Jef Allbright wrote:

>[...]
>
>If this debate ever develops from "what is personal identity" to "what
>do we mean by person identity" then it might get interesting.
>
>- Jef

I've certainly been guilty of assuming everyone agreed on my definition
of a vague term.  Remember our frustrating discussion of "coercion?"
 But can polling for a probablistic consensus save us from being wrong?
 In considering the heap paradox
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox> it occurred to me that it
could be resolved by defining a sand heap as a minimum of four grains of
sand with three grains forming a stable platform to elevate and support
a fourth.  Perhaps the observer function constitutes the minimum
property of personal identity.  I'll give it more thought when I get the
time.  -- Thomas