[ExI] Xanadu Revived?!

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sun Aug 5 16:34:10 UTC 2007

Michael M. Butler wrote:
 >> >Well, to see _a_ story. It's Wikipedia. I counted six factual errors

And Amara responded:
 > which are?

Michael's experience covers a period that partially overlaps mine, so I
notice different errors.

In this paragraph, I detect the point of view of one of the "factions",
and a mischaracterization of the divestiture and history of the factions.

   "Then a newer group of programmers, hired from Xerox PARC, used
   the problems with this software as justification to rewrite the
   software in Smalltalk. This effectively split the group into
   two factions, and the decision to rewrite put a deadline
   imposed by Autodesk out of the team's reach. In August 1992,
   Autodesk divested the Xanadu group, which became the Xanadu
   Operating Company, which struggled due to internal conflicts
   and lack of investment."

The "newer group" was led by Mark Miller, who'd been a part of the
project from the Swarthmore days.

"Justification" is pejorative.  Since the "problems" are admitted here,
it seems more like a "reason".  I worked at XOC from mid-1991 to early
1993.  It was XOC the entire time, as I recall.

I was the Manager of Software Development for most of the time I was
there before the divestiture, and there was no deadline imposed by
Autodesk that I ever heard of.  We announced deadlines we set for
ourselves, and delivered software to customers at Autodesk and elsewhere
on-time or within a few weeks of target dates.

I was in Europe (watching the Olympics in Barcelona) when the
divestiture happened.  Autodesk divested all of its external
subsidiaries at the same time in an effort to put more attention into
their revenue-producing products.  It's hard to see why anyone familiar
with the situation would say that Xanadu was singled out for failing to
meet commitments when the divestiture was general.

The part about internal conflicts is true, though the intervention of
Memex (mentioned in the following paragraph) addressed the lack of
investment.

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
http://mydruthers.com