[ExI] Bayesian epistemology

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:50:21 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> If a mathematical method useful in decision making has become an -ism
> then we are surely lost.

Well it's been floating around as an -ism (or I think Eliezer called
it something like "Bayesutsu", only partly tongue in cheek) for awhile
now, so while the conclusion that we're surely lost is a little on the
pessimistic side even for me :), I figured there was no harm in
discussing the reasons why, while the mathematical method is great
stuff as far as it goes, the -ism aspect takes things too far.