[ExI] Myth or Factual for Aug 27?

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 8 00:34:49 UTC 2007

Lee Corbin wrote:
>There was no implication of that in Damien's post.

Yes, that was clearly an emotional response, my
apology.  I assumed that he thought I was smart enough
as to have already thought to Google to find out if it
was a myth or factual (guess not :) and that there was
something other than the simple obvious question that
I asked.  I have a tendency to drop thoughts without
fully explaining my direction, I am working on that.

>>I was referring to a post I wrote a while back to
>>Amara regarding how she frequently posted noted
>>events within astronomy (my sky-watching).

>Well, you wrote in "Myth or Factual".

This is probably where my lack of clarity caused
confusion.

The actual scenario was that a friend drove me home
the other night and I was commenting on the clear
night sky and how clearly you could see the stars.  He
mentioned that he heard that on August 27, 2007, Mars
will be closest to the Earth than X amount of years.
As I have a passion for sketching stars,
constellations and moon phases (I clearly wouldn't
disrespect Amara and her profession by calling my
hobby anything more than sky watching) and I haven't
had time to enjoy my hobby lately, I figured I would
check it out to see if it was a true claim.  As Damien
mentioned, I discovered it wasn't, it was a myth.

This is where the confusion comes in:
I still didn't believe that there wasn't any point to
the comment.
I figured I would ask Amara as she is clearly the most
knowledgeable in that domain.  I figured she would
respond with something like "No, it's a myth, yes,
there is something going on that particular day or
that on August 28, 2007 there is a lunar eclipse
(which I should have just looked up myself and instead
got lazy) that you might want to check out" (as she
usually gives a head ups when events occur).

I titled the post myth or factual because in my mind I
was associating the myth with the fact that some
Internet site tells me it's so, which is not a
guarantee that it is a myth to getting the answer from
someone who clearly has the expertise to dispute it.
The thought that the myth might lead me to learn about
a factual event that will lead me to my actual goal
was the whole point of the title.

>Damien was merely pointing to a web site that
>debunks claims. I didn't know about that site. If I
>had been you, I would have interpreted that as a
>direct answer to my question of whether this >was
"Myth or Factual". That web site directly calls >this
an urban legend. Hence your friend was wrong. >That's
all.

I wasn't going to respond because I shouldn't have
posted it in the first place. It really had nothing to
do with Extropy issues and probably bored many.  I
didn't want to leave the post as is, as I clearly seem
to have exhibited harsh behaviour when in fact that
was not my intention in the least.  Au contraire, I
probably got too comfortable.  I'll try and stop
posting those off the wall thoughts as I am clearly
not explaining them properly.

Thanks for the responses
Anna