[ExI] Help needed--with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 03:50:25 UTC 2007

I've been using this dictation software for several years, mainly
with good results (after I've spent enough time training the
allegedly Australian version to make sense of my accent). But every
now and then the damned thing just can't find all the modifications
I've made to a given User and tells me that "The vocabulary you have
chosen 'General-Medium' is incompatible or invalid". So far this
bullshit has occurred at least 4 times, and even though the user name
remains visible (and presumably the associated file is still on the
computer), the vile thing can't find it. (I suspect a recent Restore
back several weeks under Windows XP might have moved something
somewhere it can't put its stupid finger on.)

I went looking for help from Nuance, who currently own, sell and
purportedly support the program, and after going through tedious
hoops to get a PIN (entering the serial number, all my personal
details, rights to the life of my first-born, you know how it is),
the motherfuckers cheerfully told me to send them $9.95 and they'd
have an email conversation with me about my problem. Since there's no
proof that they'd bother to find and resolve the problem, I cursed
angrily and went away. I might give in to this extortionate demand if
there's no other way to find an answer, but in the meanwhile--

--if anyone here knows a nifty way for me to get my mojo back, please
let me know, either on the list or off. I've searched for online user
groups, of course, haven't found anything more recent than about
1999, all links dead and gone.

Thanks, folks!

Damien Broderick