[ExI] Help needed--with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 9 17:13:36 UTC 2007

At 09:42 AM 8/9/2007 -0700, samantha wrote:

>Which program is this?  I did not see it below.  Since it is Nuance I
>presume Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Erm, look above rather than below. The subject line is "Help
needed--with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8"...

I'm happy to report that several kindly extropes contacted me offlist
with helpful hints and pointers. Seems clear that the damned thing
got munged whenever I did a System Restore, something I'd have
noticed earlier if I'd tried to use the program immediately after the restore.

>  Is there a similar program that
>has a more vibrant and up-to-date user community?  Might be time to
>switch if so.

I gather that Vista has speech recognition bundled.# If so, anyone
had any luck with it? I have to say that after training it I found
DNS quite accurate--part of the training being of *me*, as the
program shapes my enunciation toward crisper clarity.

[# http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/01/speechinWindowsVista/ ]

I once had the unnerving but entertaining experience, halfway through
a book, of saying in conversation to my wife something like, "Do you
think we'll be able to get there in time question mark."

Damien Broderick