[ExI] Column: "Nanotechnology Now"

John desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 16:05:38 UTC 2007

        From Natasha Vita-More's article:
  Lastly both Hayles and Fukuyama do not focus on nanomedicine, which is an essential constituent in bringing about a posthuman state of being. And neither considers the yearning of humans today who want to live longer than 70 in a healthy, vital body and with a healthy, vital mind and as these desires relate to the concept of continued existence, which is pivotal to the future human.

There will be more theories on what the posthuman could be but they will have to be a lot more focused on the needs of humanity rather than a metaphorical assumption or a slap in the face of human dignity. And they will have to research, understand and include the emergent technologies that are crucial in bringing about the type of changes that can and will affect all of humanity in order to bring about a future human, continued existence, and a better quality of life for all (which no doubt will include nanotechnology).

  This article by Natasha caused the Proactionary Principle to come to mind for me as what we need to deal with rapidly developing technologies as compared to the timid and potentially damaging Precautionary Principle.

  The human societal desire for economic and military power and the natural competitiveness of nation-states and corporations will greatly aid our cause.  Fukuyama and others may fume and sermonize all they want but these ancient drives will without doubt in my mind propel forward the inevitable progress of AI, nanotech and biotechnology.  Those nations which for whatever reason slow or stop their development of these technologies will find themselves left in the dust of the nations that chose to wholeheartedly pour their R & D resources into their advancement.  In the "holy name" of national security we will see nations plunge forward to stay competitive and remain/become a force to be reckoned with.

  Human competitiveness and tribalism just might come to our rescue.  I'm very glad we don't have a docile one world government with Fukuyama and other like-minded people running things.  :  )

  John Grigg
                          Sponsor:
   -->

Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
My current column's article at "Nanotechnology Now" is now up if anyone would like to read it.

http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=090

Best,
Natasha

   Natasha Vita-More
   PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium
   Situated in the Faculty of Technology, School of Computing, Communications and Electronics,
   University of Plymouth, England
   Transhumanist Arts & Culture
   Extropy Institute

   If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller