[ExI] OUTSIDE THE GATES OF SCIENCE

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 12 06:35:33 UTC 2007

I see that Publisher's Weekly has run a review on
my book about psi. I'm quite happy with their
assessment. Any of the (other) skeptics here had
a chance to read it yet? (Of course, I do regard
myself as a skeptic, even if a persuaded one in this case.)

Damien Broderick

============
Editorial Reviews
 From Publishers Weekly
Broderick, best known as a science-fiction
writer, returns to nonfiction (after 2001's The
Spike) to evaluate various research programs
investigating "psi phenomena." Divided into two
branches, psi phenomena cover anomalous
cognition, which includes telepathy, remote
viewing and other forms of "non-material"
communication; and anomalous perturbation,
psi-mediated action or psycho-kinetics. Broderick
remains analytical and objective throughout,
reviewing the work of such laboratory programs as
the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research
group, the Science Applications Incorporated
Corporation and the CIA-backed Stargate;
recounting their experiments' designs, methods
and procedures, Broderick then goes on to examine
rigorously the resulting data. He concludes that
while the evidence for various kinds of psi
phenomena is strong, there are unknown (and
possibly unknowable) factors that make classical,
reductionist methods of testing it unpredictable
and irreproducible (the reason, he suspects, that
the CIA gave up on such research in 1995).
Gratifyingly, Broderick connects the search for
psi phenomena to larger philosophical questions
while remaining skeptical and delightfully rational throughout.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division
of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.