[ExI] Stross on alleged NP-complete solution

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 19:48:20 UTC 2007

This from Charlie Stross's blog:

August 7, 2007

Anyone know if this is for real?

<http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?id=140598>An
Optical Solution For The Traveling Salesman Problem

They're claiming an O(NN) solution to a problem
that is NP-complete. According to the abstract:
We introduce an optical method based on white
light interferometry in order to solve the
well-known NP–complete traveling salesman
problem. To our knowledge it is the first time
that a method for the reduction of non–polynomial
time to quadratic time has been proposed. We will
show that this achievement is limited by the
number of available photons for solving the
problem. It will turn out that this number of
photons is proportional to NN for a traveling
salesman problem with N cities and that for large
numbers of cities the method in practice
therefore is limited by the signal–to–noise
ratio. The proposed method is meant purely as a gedankenexperiment.

This is either wrong, or (as Ken MacLeod put it)
"we're all doomed". Anyone want to give it a
read-through and tell me if it's plausible but
impractical, implausible, or plausible and
probably capable of being implemented?

[here are lots of comments:

<http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2007/08/anyone_know_if_this_is_for_rea.html#comments>
]