[ExI] Robert Heinlein at 100

John desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 17:47:35 UTC 2007

I have to say Heinlein looks terrific and gets around very well for a man who just turned 100! : )  If only it were true! lol  Reason magazine has a great article about Robert Heinlein's contributions to society, which focuses on how his supposedly disparate legacy of patriotic militarism (Starship Troopers) and free-love & communes (Stranger in a Strange Land) actually were different sides of the same coin.

  It seems many people looked to him for wisdom and leadership, though this left him feeling perplexed at times.  If he had established his own organization (something vaguely akin to Hubbard's group) I wonder what it would have been like.  Perhaps in some parallel Earth we will find out that he did.

  I hope Hollywood turns "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and "Stranger in a Strange Land" into *quality* films someday fairly soon.

  John Grigg

http://reason.com/news/show/120766.html