[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Aug 18 16:08:59 UTC 2007

"Jeff Davis" <jrd1415 at gmail.com>

> don't you think that if some sociopathic (but not organically defective)
> "offender"

Why is that in quotation marks?

> was placed under your tutelage, and you were given wide lattitude
> regarding what measures you could employ, that you couldn't straighten
> him/her out?

No, I don't think I know how to straighten out criminals. People have had
that delusion for centuries but the results have varied from mediocre to
dreadful. It is more likely that the criminal under my tutelage ends up
murdering me than me reforming him, and I think history backs me up.

gts Wrote:

> Presumably post-humans will not have reptilian natures!

I don't presume that at all. The reptilian part of the brain must be doing
something very important if Evolution has kept it around for half a billion
years.

  John K Clark