[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 14:10:33 UTC 2007

Out of the entire discussion I find those two paragraphs to be
the most notable.

It seems that the "Justice" people dispense is more for the
emotional benefits such as finally seeing the rapist sent to
the chair or something. Sending the rapist to the chair will
of course not fix the problems and in fact 'waste' more
resources.*

If we were serious about preservation of our systems we would
instead not have to worry about problems like somebody
stealing a few items from a store. Instead we would have
backups, redundancy, an ability to reinitialize a person now
found dead. But since we are not there yet, since we lack the
knowledge, it looks like some people hope for there to be
some "Justice" to dispense.

I am reminded of http://asarya.com/ which is quoted from
Zindell's Neverness trilogy: "An asarya ... is a person who
can look upon all aspects of creation and say \Yes\ no matter
how 'painful' the universe may be." The dispensed "Justice"
seems to be a way to try to say 'No'. Ouch.

- Bryan

* We cannot actually say it will waste resources; what if the
rapist can be recovered into a Feynman/Einstein equivalent?
We of course do not know this, and so focusing on just this
one particular person looks suspicious- should we not be
helping out all sorts of people instead of just the ones that
show up in our Justice System?