[ExI] documentary- "A Flock of Dodo's"

John desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 16:54:55 UTC 2007

I recently viewed the very entertaining and informative documentary about the evolution/intelligent design debate, "A Flock of Dodo's."  Dr. Randy Olson, the host/filmmaker, was open about being an evolutionist and yet he was still able to look at things from the other side's perspective.  This was very warm and "down to earth" filmmaking at it's best and yet at the same time it was a very slick production.  He would in a very quick and humorous way explain various scientific concepts (sometimes using animations and techniques seemingly taken from children's programming) and then move on to show what each side thought.

  A "Dodo" according to him is not necessarily a Creationist but simply anyone who does not know how to survive and thrive in our public relations obsessed information society.  The Dodo was a creature which did not adapt fast enough when its environment changed and so it perished.  Scientists who study and teach evolution are seen in the documentary as being the next Dodos if they do not soon adapt.  A scene where the filmmaker and his scientist buddies are playing poker together is highly instructive of their challenge...

  I highly recommend everyone see this film.  Surprisingly, I discovered it on Showtime.

  http://www.livescience.com/health/060303_flock_dodos.html

  http://www.amazon.com/Flock-Dodos-Jack-Cahill/dp/B000PATZKQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2756377-4347339?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1187628327&sr=8-1

  John Grigg